Essential Oils Use for Horses
These recommendations apply only to the doTERRA Essential because they are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade – 100% natural. The CPTG logo on the label guarantees that all oils have been tested by independent labs to confirm each batch is free of any synthetics, pesticides, herbacides, etc. and has therapeutic potency.
A few quick tips
- Horses are sensitive despite their size; use the same dosage for a horse as for an adult human. Less for pregnant mares, Shetlands & toy breeds. (Usual application for adult humans is 1-2 drops)
- Follow the directions in your reference book, I recommend purchasing the Modern Essentials Guide at AromaTools.com.
- The oils do not build up in the systems like drugs do; reapply the oils as needed
- Avoid getting oils in the eyes, flush eyes with milk if needed
Favorite Oils and Uses
- FRANKINCENSE: Anxiety, Colitis, Inflammation, Infections, Insect/Snake bites, Scarring, Tumors, Warts
- HELICHRYSUM: Bleeding, Liver Issues, Nerve Damage, Wound Care
- LAVENDER: Abscesses, Anxiety, Allergies, Burns, Conjunctivitis, Inflammation, Tumors, Vertigo, Wound Care
- LEMON: Anxiety, Electrolyte Balance, Immune Boost, Infections, Lymph function, Hoof Strength
- MELALEUCA: Colds, Hoof Rot, Lice, Mites, Rain Rot, Ringworm, Strep, Staph, Wound Care
- MELISSA: Anxiety, Chronic Cough, Depression, Flu, Herpes, Immune Support
- OREGANO: bronchitis, Colds, Hoof Rot, Infections, MRSA, Ringworm, Strep, Staph
- PEPPERMINT: Asthma, Bronchitis, Colic, Diarrhea, Fever, Heatstroke, Inflammation, Muscle Pain, Ulcers
- AROMA TOUCH: Heatstroke, Laminitis, Monday Morning Sickness, Overworked Muscles
- BALANCE: Anxiety, Joint Tissues (Add lemongrass & Deep Blue)
- BREATHE: Asthma, Allergies, Colds, Heatstroke
- DEEP BLUE: Arthritis, Monday Morning Sickness, Muscle Cramps, Wound Care
- DIGESTZEN: Allergies, Colic, Ulcers, Digestive Parasites
- ON GUARD: Colds, Flu, Immune Support, Parasites
A few recipes for everyday use:
In a 16oz. spray bottle add 6-8 drops of Peppermint, Aroma Touch or Breathe. Fill the remainder of the bottle with distilled water. Spray horse, avoiding the eyes. Reapply as needed.
Mist: In a 16oz. spray bottle put 6-8 drops Lemongrass or Purify, and fill with distilled water. Lightly spray horse, avoiding the eyes. Reapply as needed for prevention.
Oils: Apply TerraShield (no dilution required, though can be diluted with more carrier oil) to pasterns, around eyes, on nose, and to other trouble areas.
Or in a 4oz. glass bottle, add 20 drops of Lemongrass, 20 drops Patchouli, 20 drops Eucalyptus, & 20 drops Thyme. Fill the remaining space with fractionated coconut oil. Lightly spray or rub down troubled areas to repel insects and prevent bites and bot infestation.
Sore Muscle Brace/Competition Brace Oil (Try this for Laminitis):
In a 4oz. glass bottle, add 40 drops Aroma Touch, 20 drops Lemongrass, 20 drops Frankincense & 10 drops Thyme. Fill the remaining space with fractionated coconut oil. Spray or rub down; wrap as usual.
Chronic Health Conditions, Wound Care, & Competition/Performance Horses:
Add the Life Long Vitality Pack to your oils program. It has been proven to reduce inflammation, improve immune function, increase energy, promote vitality and wellness, support brain and digestive function & more!
* This information is not meant to diagnose or cure any disease or ailment, it is meant for informational purposes only.